Current:Home > FinanceJonathan Van Ness denies 'overwhelmingly untrue' toxic workplace allegations on 'Queer Eye' -Capitatum
Jonathan Van Ness denies 'overwhelmingly untrue' toxic workplace allegations on 'Queer Eye'
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 12:45:22
Jonathan Van Ness is breaking their silence on a report that claimed the hairstylist was a "monster" on the set of Netflix's "Queer Eye."
In March, Rolling Stone published a report citing anonymous production sources that claimed Van Ness had "rage issues," was a "nightmare" to work with and emotionally "abusive."
The hairstylist, 37, said on Wednesday's episode of the "Table Manners" podcast that some of the quotes in the report were "taken out of context" and that the article "isn't based in reality."
"There was this article that was written about 'Queer Eye' and myself in March, but our whole 'Queer Eye' family had first learned about this article in like December," Van Ness recalled. "So from January to March, I was walking on eggshells being like, 'When is this going to happen?' And then it finally did happen."
They added that the article was "overwhelmingly untrue and done in bad faith."
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Netflix and the stars of "Queer Eye," which included Van Ness, Tan France, Antoni Porowski, Karamo Brown and former castmember Bobby Berk, did not respond to Rolling Stone's requests for comment.
Van Ness didn't address which specific quotes about their behavior was false, however, they acknowledged "there were times where I could have been better" and may have been short due to "stress."
"I think a lot of people were looking for a reason to hate me or looking for a reason to be like, 'See, I always knew that they were a fake…'" they added of the public's reception to the report.
The hairstylist admitted they did "internalize" some of the backlash, but it "forced" them to "really learn how to slow down, disengage, and then really love myself" in the process.
They credited their family and husband Mark Peacock for supporting them following the article.
'Queer Eye' star Tan Francesays he didn't get Bobby Berk 'fired' amid alleged show drama
Tan France, Bobby Berk address their alleged drama
Three sources in Rolling Stone's report also alleged that France and Porowski used "mean-girl antics" and plotted to get Berk axed from "Queer Eye" to make way for new co-host Jeremiah Brent to replace the show's interior designer, a friend to France.
France addressed the claims in a video shared to Instagram days after the article's publication.
"My former colleague getting fired has nothing to do with me trying to get my friend hired. Netflix and the production companies did a full-on casting. I didn't put my friend up for the job. They ended up getting it because they were the best person for the job," he said.
Netflix replaces Bobby Berkwith Jeremiah Brent for 9th season of 'Queer Eye'
When Berk announced his departure from the show in November, rumors swirled about there being friction among the effervescent and seemingly close-knit Fab Five. Berk confirmed what fans noticed: that the interior design expert had unfollowed co-star France, the fashion guru, on Instagram.
"I want people to know that Tan and I — we will be fine," Berk told Vanity Fair in January.
"Tan and I had a moment," he said. "There was a situation, and that's between Tan and I, and it has nothing to do with the show. It was something personal that had been brewing — and nothing romantic, just to clarify that."
Berk added, "Should I have unfollowed Tan? No. Maybe I should have just muted him. But that day, I was angry, and that's the end of it. We became like siblings — and siblings are always going to fight."
Contributing: KiMi Robinson
veryGood! (996)
Related
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Rihanna Reveals How Her and A$AP Rocky’s Sons Bring New Purpose to Her Life
- CDC says it’s identified 1st documented cases of HIV transmitted through cosmetic needles
- Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban step out with daughters Sunday and Faith on AFI gala carpet
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Clayton MacRae: Global View of AI Technologies and the United States
- Tractor-trailers with no one aboard? The future is near for self-driving trucks on US roads
- A Plastics Plant Promised Pennsylvania Prosperity, but to Some Residents It’s Become a ‘Shockingly Bad’ Neighbor
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Dan Rather, at 92, on a life in news
Ranking
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Affluent Americans are driving US economy and likely delaying need for Fed rate cuts
- Amelia Gray Hamlin Frees the Nipple in Her Most Modest Look to Date
- Horoscopes Today, April 27, 2024
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Kentucky Derby post positions announced for horses in the 2024 field
- Beyoncé and Blue Ivy Carter to Star in Lion King Prequel: All the Buzzworthy Details
- Andrew Tate's trial on rape and human trafficking charges can begin, Romania court rules
Recommendation
Travis Hunter, the 2
CDC: ‘Vampire facials’ at an unlicensed spa in New Mexico led to HIV infections in three women
Kentucky Derby post positions announced for horses in the 2024 field
AIGM Plans To Launch over 5 IEO in 2024
McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
Activist who fought for legal rights for Europe’s largest saltwater lagoon wins ‘Green Nobel’
Kim Kardashian Debuts Icy Blonde Hair Transformation
Campus protests multiply as demonstrators breach barriers at UCLA | The Excerpt